On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 06:37:45PM -0500, Doug Franklin scripsit:
> Larry Colen wrote:
>> I'll be the token linux-weenie and suggest ditching windows and
>> running either Ubuntu or Kubuntu. While it is possible to write a
>> virus that targets linux, it's quite a bit more difficult.
>
> Show me a useful replacement for Photoshop that can do
> 16-bit-per-color processing on Linux and I'll switch in a heartbeat.

Cinepaint.  http://www.cinepaint.org/

There are ufraw plugins from cinepaint.  (http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/)

Most major distros will already have those all packaged up.

You may still not like the user interface; I quite like ufraw myself,
and find that I don't do much other than scaling in either the GIMP or
cinepaint.  (If it's going to wind up a JPEG, there's very little reason
not to use the GIMP.)

In the mighty Unix tradition of strong minds and weak typing, qtpfsgui
(http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/related.php) is a workflow and front
end for HDR and tone-mapping tools.  There's also Hugin for panoramic
stitching.

So, probably not the same one-stop shop as Photoshop, but lots of very
capable stuff.  And if I can figure it out, how hard can it be?

-- Graydon