If you already have all the cables you need for the FW 400 devices and
just need to adapt the FW800 to FW400 at the computer to start the
chain, this little $12 adapter does a great job:

moshi FireWire 800 to 400 adapter (on Amazon)
http://tinyurl.com/2f4y3dy

It's what I use for my FW400 connection off the Mac Mini.

One thing I've found with the Mac Mini compared to my PowerMac G5 is
that Apple has invested heavily into USB 2.0 optimization. Where on
the G5 a USB 2.0 device couldn't even remotely approach the
performance of the same device connected via FW400, now the USB2
device are at near-parity and sometimes edge out the FW400 connection.

FW still has an advantage on sustained high-volume throughput and has
features lacking in USB2 (multi-master, more reliable power, etc), but
I have no problems using either of these two interfaces now when
optimizing data transfers and doing image processing. FW800 on
suitably well engineered devices, of course, out-performs USB2 and
FW400 but I haven't found I need to upgrade all of my drive
enclosures: current performance is quite satisfactory for still
photography work.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com