> From: "Dario Bonazza" <dario.bona...@virgilio.it>
>
> Tom C wrote:
>
>> Rant:
>
>> Why did it have to be the very last custom menu setting on the 6th CF
>> menu? Why not put something so fundamental up front in the list?
>
> So that you can rant. Being serious, Pentax thinks 99% of their customers
> don't have a reason to change that setting, and it's probably true.
>
>> Why is not the default to PERMIT as opposed to PROHIBIT?
>
> Because, in Pentax's vision, the average user doesn't have a lens equipped
> with aperture ring and, in case, it's better he/she puts it on A position.
>
>> Why is it labeled Using Aperture Ring?
>
> Actually, because it allows you to use aperture ring.
>
>> It seems obvious now, but last night it just did not seem
>> apparent even though I went through the menus 5 times.
>
> Your fault ;-)
>
>> It seems to me it should be labeled something like Use
>> non-A lenses or Use lenses in non-A mode, or Use older lenses.
>
> Because 99.99% of users don't have a clue on what an A-lens is.
>
>> Under what circumstances, if a user deliberately mounts a non-A lens,
>> or deliberately switches out of (A) mode, and then deliberately
>> actuates the shutter, would they want the camera to ACT LIKE A BRICK
>> when the shutter button is depressed instead of acting like a
>> camera??? That is plain RETARDED and a major flaw in th UI in my
>> opinion.
>
> Foolproof setting. Anybody using an M-series lens without being in the know
> about the missing aperture simulator (oooooh, I've quoted it!) and how to
> operate this combo, will blame Pentax for unproper exposure and will likely
> send the camera back for repair.
>
> This is how I understand it. Not that I agree fully, but it makes some
> sense.
>
> Dario

That makes a tiny bit of perverted sense, but it's still perverted.
Such a user would be MORE LIKELY to send the camera back because it
acted LIKE A BRICK. Not working at all is worse than taking a sub-par
exposure. If they were worried about that and the firmware knows
enough to refuse operation, how hard could it be to then automatically
jump to the appropriate menu setting and provide the option to change
it?

I probably would have found the setting, but I was helping my wife get
ready for a 400 mile trip for surgery, trying to make dinner, trying
to watch a TV show, and trying to make the camera work all at the same
time.  I just wanted the blankety-blank-blank thing to work when I
mount a K-mount lens.

I may go home and bash my *ist D with a baseball bat instead. I saw an
image I was considering publishing that was taken under decent
lighting conditions at ISO 200 and the horizontal banding in that
image (one out 20 or 30 taken in the same shoot) simply ruined it.

Tom C.