From: Larry Colen
On Sep 27, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

Panasonic has done exactly the same thing with their DSLRs and
Micro-FourThirds cameras. Attempting to protect the naive customer,
I guess.

Olympus doesn't do it at all. Fit an adapted manual lens and the
camera just makes an exposure.

On Pentax and Panasonic cameras, I enabled the ability to use "no
lens" as soon as I got the camera (that's effectively what this
means) and left it that way, never looked at it again.
I just ran across my photos from burning man a year ago where I
hadn't realized that my freshly repaired K20 had been reset to the
factory default of "shoot jpeg".  If I cared so little about my
photos that I wanted to shoot JPEGs, I wouldn't spend the money on a
DSLR.

If you get the exposure (and white balance, and ...) correct in camera JPEG is all you need.

I'm currently shooting RAW+. For about half the shots JPEG nails it.