hi,

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 09:52:57PM +0100, Bob Walkden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the Contax RX you have a PF option which lets you choose whether to
> rewind fully into the cassette, or leave the leader out. I used to
> make it rewind fully, but that caused problems when I wanted to
> mid-roll rewind, so changed to leader out. One good feature of the
> camera is that when it's finished rewinding, if you do want to wind
> back into the cassette you just push the rewind lever again and back
> in it goes. Very convenient.

The new pentax zx-l also has this feature and i was considering buying
that once my 5n died. But i heard people complaining about its
pentamirror so havent bought it yet. Wanted to try it out first.  But
now i think i dont do much photography that warrants AF anyways so i am
okay with my MF cameras. That does leave my 500ftz lying around unused
for now.

I am actually also considering buying a contax slr system (was very
impressed by the G2 and now have a G1+45mm lens). But cant afford to do
it now so waiting for a better time or a good deal :). I am thinking
between 167MT, AX, and maybe RX as the body (might just get a yashica
body if money is tight) and of course zeiss lenses.

> An even better idea, imo, is to have a smart rewind. If it rewinds
> automatically on end-of-roll then it should rewind fully back into
> the cassette. If the photographer initiates the rewind by pressing the
> lever then it should leave the leader out.

yep that would be neat. But there should be override mechanism there too
in case someone wants it.