Hi Gary F, List,

First, a small point. I take a scientific phenomenon to be something public
that could be observed. It isn't necessary that it actually be before the mind
in order to be a phenomenon. Rather, the observation of the phenomenon is what
is typically "in the mind" of the cognitive agents.

Second, the results of Peirce's inquiries in logic are, like other historical
events, something that can be observed. Your question seems to be:  is a claim
that one written expression of a logical conception is clearer than another
really a hard fact? If so, what does that suggest about the hardness of such
facts?

For my part, I don't think there is any significant difference between a
historical expression of, say, the conceptions involved in law embodied in a
statute and the historical expression of a logical conception in a
philosophical theory and expressed in a written mode. The fact that a
conception in the law is more clearly expressed than it was in the past will
show, as a hard fact, in the kinds of conduct that will follow from the newly
clarified statute. That is, there will actually be fewer disagreements and
conflicts in conduct among those who purport to be regulated by their clearer
conceptions of such laws.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor