I came across a recent article that sheds some light on what Peirce may
have meant by "fusing minds" that share a common experience.
See below for the abstract of the article, the URL, and some
excerpts.
>From Peirce's brief comments about that issue, we can only
guess what he meant.   But the issues mentioned below (and discussed in
more detail in the full article) are intriguing.  Peirce very likely
participated in some such activities.  He may have had a feeling (an
experience in his phaneron) for which  the word 'fusion' might have been a
good description.
And by way, this article is just one example of
the kind of evidence that can  help us interpret what Peirce meant.  He
couldn't have imagined his own brain waves synchronized with others, and
neither could we -- until we read about actual measurements in an fMRI
scanner.
His writings, of course, are essential evidence.  But the
writings are just the tip of an immense iceberg.  They represent a tiny
fraction of what he knew, felt, thought, and did.  To interpret those
writings, we need to study as much as we can about his life, his reading,
and the effects he had on his contemporaries and on his readers up to the
present day.
As we know very well, Peirce had deep insights that
anticipated and often went far beyond the insights of scientists and
philosophers up to and including the  present.  Just reading a recent
article that has no mention of Peirce might give us a crucial bit of
evidence that can enable us to interpert something he wrote over a century
ago.
John
-----------------------------------
Authors:
Ana Lucía Valencia & Tom Froese (2020)

Title:  What binds
us?  Inter-brain neural synchronization and its implications
for
theories of human consciousness

Abstract:  The association
between neural oscillations and functional
integration is widely
recognized in the study of human cognition.
Large-scale
synchronization of neural activity has also been proposed as
the
neural basis of consciousness.  Intriguingly, a growing number of
studies in social cognitive neuroscience reveal that phase
synchronization similarly appears across brains during meaningful
social
interaction.  Moreover, this inter-brain synchronization has
been
associated with subjective reports of social connectedness,
engagement,
and cooperativeness, as well as experiences of social
cohesion and
‘self-other merging’.  These findings challenge the
standard view of
human consciousness as essentially first-person
singular and private.
We therefore revisit the recent controversy
over the possibility of
extended consciousness and argue that
evidence of inter-brain
synchronization in the fastest frequency
bands overcomes the hitherto
most convincing sceptical position.  If
this proposal is on the right
track, our understanding of human
consciousness would be profoundly
transformed, and we propose a
method to test this proposal
experimentally.

Behavioural studies in psychology have consistently shown that
synchrony
during joint action (such as rocking, marching, walking, or
dancing)
promotes cooperative ability and increases empathy, liking,
rapport, and
prosocial behaviour (Hari and Kujala 2009; Hove and
Risen 2009;
Wiltermuth and Heath 2009; Valdesolo et al. 2010;
Valdesolo and DeSteno
2011; Mogan et al. 2017).  From such studies,
it has been suggested that
dynamics of neuronal coupling could play
an important role in the
emergence of such interactive synchrony
(Wilson and Wilson 2005; Dumas
et al. 2011; Hasson et al. 2012).
Importantly, the development of the
hyperscanning technique by
Montague et al.  (2002) has allowed for the
measurement and analysis
of such inter-brain dynamics (Babiloni and
Astolfi 2014; Czeszumski
et al. 2020).  Using functional magnetic
resonance imaging (fMRI),
functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS),
electroencephalography
(EEG) or magnetoencephalography (MEG),
hyperscanning paradigms
simultaneously record the brain activity of two
or more individuals,
thus permitting the assessment of neural activity
during real-time
social interaction (Babiloni and Astolfi 2014;
Czeszumski et al.
2020)...

Greater neural synchronization also appeared between
subjects completing
a puzzle together, compared to when the same
subjects completed
identical puzzles individually, or watched others
complete the puzzle
(in front of them or through video recording)
(Fishburn et al. 2018).  A
similar study revealed inter-brain
synchronization between two
individuals when singing together, but