Gary R., List:

GR: I note that you use the term 'determine' to express these relations
while in the Peirce quotation above Peirce writes "involving."

I use "determines" because that is what Peirce himself uses for the three
interpretants in EP 2:481 (1908)--"Hence it follows from the Definition of
a Sign that since the Dynamoid Object determines the Immediate Object,
which determines the Sign itself, which determines the Destinate
Interpretant, which determines the Effective Interpretant, which determines
the Explicit Interpretant ..." Again, this is a *logical *ordering of the
corresponding trichotomies for sign classification, not a *temporal *sequence
within the actual process of semiosis.

GR: I also don't see -- or, perhaps, don't yet understand -- why you write
that the three interpretants "are not a trichotomy for sign
classification." Why not?

The point here is that a sign is never classified according to *whether *its
interpretant is immediate, dynamical, or final. On the contrary, *every *sign
can have *all three* interpretants. Instead, each of the two objects and
three interpretants corresponds to a *different *trichotomy for sign
classification, and there are additional trichotomies for the dyadic
relations of the sign to its external objects and interpretants (dynamical
and final), as well as the triadic relation of the sign to its genuine
object (dynamical) and interpretant (final).

Regards,

Jon