I have no problem with uneven and combined development paradigm, O'Connor's
piece in the Race and Class special issue on ecological crisis was convincing to
me, but I have never understood the debates between, e.g., world systems on the
one hand and dependency theory on the other, or underdevelopment, mode of
production debates, etc. I have never understood these as mutually exclusive
alternative paradigms, but as complementary tools of analysis, all imperfect,
but all helpful in some cases.  Imperialism yes, global colonialist capitalism,
etc., but also agency for real people who are responding to the ways in which
imperialist global capitalism affects their lives, very often fighting tooth and
nail against it, and also often using some of what capitalism brought to resist
that very capitalism---technologies, etc. mat