[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Michael,
> are you arguing that climate change is the result of individual farm
> practice?  I just don't understand where you are coming from.

I think that both of you are expressing yourself with undue terseness,
which is leading to sort of a galloping failure to connect.  I know less
about this than either of you, but what about the following
observations?

Forget property. Forget sources of climate change. Is it not true that
land on which nothing but grass has grown for centuries, driving its
roots deep into the soil, could tolerate an extensive drought lasting
years or even decades, while soil that has been and is being plowed each
year will weaken quickly in case of drought?

I'm assuming that climate _change_ is more or less independent of
farming practices, but the _results_ or climate change vary radically
depending on farming (or non-farming) practices.

Carrol