> So that's what I missed, that you expect named actual parameters to
   > be legally passable to subs with unnamed formal parameters. I would
   > consider that inappropriate, needing at least a warning.

Perhaps under:

        use strict 'parameters';

   > If people want to use named parameters
   > with a sub with unnamed formal parameters, they should curry a wrapper.

Which C<sort> could, of course, also do (if it was decided that bully-boy,
fascist named parameters were the more appropriate default ;-).

   > I note your use of ^0 and ^1 where I and another poster both used
   > ^1 & ^2. I wonder how many people will have to learn about ^0 if
   > you implement it as a positional placeholder. Note that regexp
   > produces $1, $2 ..., not $0. And people really do count from 1,
   > until they've been indoctinated that computer arrays start at 0.
   > But placeholders are not an array.

No indeed. They are short-hand for indexing operations into an array (@_).
And array indices *do* start from zero.

In contexts like this (and others such as C<grep>) the omission of ^0
from a comparator would surely evoke a diagnostic.

Damian