>> Perl will have to do atomic operations, if for no other reason than to
>> keep from core dumping and maintaining sane states.

AB> I don't see that this is necessarily true.  The best suggestion I have
AB> seen so far is to have each thread be effectively a separate instance of
AB> the interpreter, with all variables being by default local to that
AB> thread.  If inter-thread communication is required it would be done via
AB> special 'shareable' variables, which are appropriately protected to
AB> ensure all operations on them are atomic, and that concurrent access
AB> doesn't cause corruption.  This avoids the locking penalty for 95% of
AB> the cases where variables won't be shared.

I don't see where you are differing from me.

And different interpreters doesn't completely isolate threads from each
other. You are simply giving each thread its own work/scratch area.
With the internals rewrite it may not need to be a full interpreter.

There will still be quite a few items that need to be shared. But
definitely much fewer than in p5.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183