Richard Proctor wrote:
>>[Eric Roode wrote]
>> Perhaps $/ and $\ should become per-filehandle variables, and
>> there should be some way to set autochomp-on-read per filehandle,
>> and auto-newline-on-output per filehandle.
>
>I can see a small benefit for autochomp-on-read but none whatsoever
>for auto-newline-on-output (even if you could decide when to send it).

I use it all the time -- indirectly, for one-liners, via the -l option.

perl -nle '-e && print "$_ exists"' <file_list

 Eric J. Roode,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]           print  scalar  reverse  sort
 Senior Software Engineer                'tona ', 'reh', 'ekca', 'lre',
 Myxa Corporation                        '.r', 'h ', 'uj', 'p ', 'ts';