  NT> Implementation is different from design, and different again from
  NT> maintenance.  If we do the design, test cases, and stubbing well
  NT> enough, we could have a cast of thousands doing the implementation.

cecil b. demillions of coders.

  NT> I'm thinking about a team structure for ongoing maintenance.  Each
  NT> area (docs, stdlib, interpreter, compiler) has its own team.  A team
  NT> is only a few people: the person responsible for submitting patches,
  NT> someone responsible for keeping on top of user demands, and someone
  NT> from QA.  In some cases these roles might be shared, and there's no
  NT> law that says the same QA person couldn't be on several teams.  The
  NT> only law I'd want is that no team could be made up of people from
  NT> the same company.

that resonates with MMM totally. look at the surgical team approach as
well but updated. each group has a lead and a 2nd (and possibly 3rd) in
charge. others in the group do work on various parts under control of
the group leaders. support types like QA, version control, docs
management, can be shared among groups.

  NT> In addition to these people is a release manager, coordinating
  NT> with everyone to set realistic deadlines and ensure everyone's
  NT> talking with everyone else.  No release goes out the door until
  NT> all the teams agree that they have a Good Enough product.  This
  NT> way neither ActiveState, Microsoft, nor the Trilateral Commission
  NT> can dictate an unrealistic release date.  And this goes both ways:
  NT> if there is a dodgy release, the blame can't be pointed at just
  NT> one company.  At a team perhaps, but there can be no accusations
  NT> of coercion and manipulation.

damn, i wanted to use my trilateral connections to fork perl in my
way. all my rfc's ROOL! :)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting