Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> FWIW, I would like to see results for these little tests also for
> other platforms than just gcc on Intel (on Linux...) :-) I tried
> quickly hacking the test script and C source to be more portable
> but it took me more than a few minutes so I gave up...

I just tried on a Sun (dual Ultra Sparc 450 MHz running SunOS 5.6)
and gcc 2.95 compiled it without a hitch. (The TIL didn't work of
course.) BTW, only the switch and function call code is portable to
non-gcc compilers. And the TIL depends upon *both* gcc and Intel.
Anybody running gcc on Windows Intel?

Here are the times for the Sun machine:

                                         -g           -O
function call (original)              25.1 secs      16.4
switch w/ expanded opcodes            18.6 secs       8.6
computed goto w/ expanded opcodes     15.5 secs       5.5

- Ken