David M Lloyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On 24 Apr 2001, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> It seems relatively unlikely in the course of normal Perl that you're
>> going to end up with very many references to objects.

> Well, right now in Perl, an object *is* a reference.

Precisely.  So there's almost never any reason to create a reference to an
object, which would be a reference to a reference, and for those rare
circumstances the existing dereference syntax is probably adequate.

> Maybe you want to pass around a reference to @myarray because it
> contains a billion elements, or is tied to a file, or something;

I would presume that objects will still be implemented as references under
the hood so that passing them around is efficient no matter what they
contain.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>