Correct -- there are some excellent REPLs for perl5 such as Devel::REPL and
tinyrepl.

The advantage for Perl 6 will be (but is not yet) it's multi-threaded
friendliness. I am slowly working on the tools to build something like
clojure's nREPL -- a client/server repl where your console, editor, and
even front-end world can all be talking to an interactive instance of your
application with deep introspection and cool coordination through
middleware.

Once it is working, rakudo-js will then allow this to get some really sweet
workflows going, where you can edit code in your editor, have it pushed up
to your browser, and use a console on the server to inspect and manipulate
the state on the browser during interactive development.