On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 10:37:45AM -0700, Dipesh Sharma wrote:
> Dependency on perl5 for building perl6 looks like a concern. It means that
> we can't have and environment with perl6, without perl5.

I disagree.  Just because perl5 is currently required to *build* Rakudo
doesn't mean that perl5 has to be installed in order to *use* Rakudo.

For example:

    "Dependency on gcc for building bash looks like a concern.  It means
    that we can't have an environment with bash, without gcc."

However, I know of a lot of systems that use bash that don't have
gcc installed, so the above statement is clearly false..  Note
that you can replace "bash" in the statement above with things
like "awk", "sed", or even "perl5" and it's equally as false.

As a very real example of this:  It's entirely possible TODAY for
Windows users to install and use Rakudo without having Perl 5
installed on their system.

Pm