It's important to point out that inside metaoperators ("composed
operators", "combined operators", ...) the [ ] are just for bracketing
things together — sometimes it's needed to disambiguate, but you can put
it in anyway to make things clearer.

This has nothing to do with [+] 1, 2, 3, which is a way to spell "add
these three numbers together".