On 2020-01-01 07:25, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
Todd!

Of what use are these module printouts?

Tons of examples on how to do various things.  Raku is missing
a Windows API module, which is what this is targets at.

For someone who complains immediately if you are disrespected by having your grammar corrected, you are remarkably disrespectful to everyone else.

Okay.  When I do this, please point it out so I can correct it.

The work you have done getting these modules to work on Windows is great. Given the dominance of Windows in computing, your modules will almost certainly be useful to someone.

They almost killed me and I am not done yet. I still have to conquer formatmessagew. And when I post them here, they
are avail to web search engines, not just this list.

It does not help that the documentation for NativeCall is
so poorly written.

By the way, no discussion on the backwards integers that
Windows coughs up.  EEEEEE!!!

    loop (my $Index = 0; $Index < $lpcbData; $Index += 1 ) {
       my BYTE  $x = $lpData[ $Index ]; # say $x.base(16);
       my int32 $y = $x +| 0x0000;      # say $y.base(16);
       $KeyValue += ( $y +< ( $Index * 8 ) );
       # say "KeyValue = $KeyValue   $KeyValue.base(16)\n";;
    }

I am surfe there are easier ways.

And since most of what NativeCall will be used on will
be Windows API's, it would serve to show in the docs
how to handle these weird integers and pointers.

But you send them to an email list. Only those who regularly read the list will see them. Someone coming later will not.

Are you forgetting the list is searchable by Google and others?

Where do regular Raku programmers (not just 'developers') put modules? Into the ecosystem, so that everyone! can search for a module they need, and can then simply install it with zef.

I have not done that because I do not believe the quality
of my stuff rise to that.   I also would have to go through
and remove all my "camel humps", which I use for specific
reasons, and would make it more difficult on me to maintain.

Second, your plain text versions of modules have no tests, there is no dependency list, there is no one to go to if the module does not work, eg. because Microsoft changed something at random, as they do.

Uhhh, you did not read them too closely.  They are up at a
the top under the initial introduction #`{ xxx }.  And lots of
them too.  They are meant to copy and paste.  Maybe you mean
something else?

If you expect someone else to do that work, think again. Most people on this list probably have more projects in their TODO list than you do, and it seems to me that the majority of them have moved away from an OS that you yourself have described pejoratively.

There are many reasons for creating the modules as described in the documentation and placing them in the ecosystem.

If you don't like doing this, that's OK, but it's a shame that the results of your time and energy can't be used by others.

You forgot Google again

Flooding this email list with plain text programs is just blatantly saying "I don't care about your conventions, I'll do this my way". And that is disrespectful of the community.

The guy you describe sound like a real jerk.  Please do not
jump to conclusions about my motives

Todd, you ask many many questions on this list, questions about things that provide value to you and for which you say you get paid for. You receive free help in a patient and friendly manner, even when you are contemptuous of the people who help you.

"contemptuous"  When?

By chance do you mean my opinion of the Docs?
They are a nightmare -- a real let down after
using Perl 5's docs.  That does not mean I am
contemptuous of those who write them.  I have to
do technical writing myself.  It is arduous,
thankless task.  They just need some, well
a lot, of polish.

Identifying the problem is not being "contemptuous".
It is a start to fixing the problem.

I do things that a lot of other people do not do.

1) I praise and thank everyone who helps me
2) I give feedback to others so they will know
   if their advice was helpful.
3) I even feedback when I figure things out myself.

I would say 4) I post things I think will be useful
to other, but other also do that a lot too, so it is
not all that unusual

The very least you could do is to abide by the norms that this community has set up.

Again, when have I not?

If you have modules you want to share, share them in a way that people can use. If you find issues, then raise them in the places where issues are handled. If you have a personal rule about doing some things differently, fine, but please be respectful of others in the community and the 'rules' they abide by.

Which "rules" have I broken?

Have a prosperous New Year, and may your programming bring you joy.

Richard

You too.  Thank you for the advice.

-T

--