On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 04:32:02PM -0500, Brad Gilbert wrote:
: In the above two cases ff and fff would behave identically.
:
: The difference shines when the beginning marker can look like the end
: marker.

The way I think of it is this:  You come to the end of "ff" sooner, so you
do the end test immediately after passing the start test.  You come to the
end of "fff" later, so the end test is delayed to the next iteration from
the start test.  (Same mnemonic for .. and ... in Perl, by the way, since
ff and fff were modeled on .. and ... (in their scalar form), but we stole
.. and ... in Raku for ranges and sequences so we needed something else.)

I suppose if you're musical you can come up with mnemonics based on "fff"
being louder than "ff", so it echoes longer before it stops...  :)

Larry