> If this is the case, how would a regex like "^[a-zA-Z]" work (or other,
more
> sensitive characters)? If just about anything can come between A and Z,
and
> letters that might be there in a particular locale aren't in another
locale,
> then how will regex engine make the distinction?

This syntax was designed for English. It just does not make any sense in
Chinese.
The Chinese just don't have sorting order for most of history. The phonetic
order
and stroke order was introduced only couple of hundred years ago.

I don't really care how regex handle it. If I do need to search range or
sort,
I will create my own collator to convert the string into a normalized form,
and hand it to regex or qsort. It is up to me to define the collator. The
regex
does not even need to care about the order. Of course, the regex will
support
some basic ordering for opto.

Hong