-----Original Message-----
From: David L. Nicol
To: Buddha Buck
Cc: Sterin, Ilya; '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Sent: 08/01/2001 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: Circular references

Buddha Buck wrote:

> At 01:01 PM 08-01-2001 -0600, Sterin, Ilya wrote:
> > Can't we keep
> >information on the number of circular references in the SV structure
and
> >then decrement the references count by one + the circular reference
count at
> >the end of scope?
>
> How do you detect a circular reference so you can update the circular
> reference count?
>
> >Ilya

>Perl6 will only run on quantum computers, didn't you know that?

Then we have all the time in the world:)

I definitelly didn't imply inefficiency by doing the above, which was just
off the top of my head, there are of course better way of eliminating that
problem as with Dan's GC mention.  I never saw circular references leak as a
problem, since I'm used to cleaning up my mess, but it definitelly would be
a problem for others that are only used to programming in interpreted
languages (and then Java).

But no need to further discuss, since that will be taken care off :))

Ilya

--
                                           David Nicol 816.235.1187
 "Straight from the docs" doesn't mean "you can cut-and-paste" - it