On Monday 06 August 2001 09:38 am, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> Cool. I really, *really* appreciate the work you're doing on this. It's
> definitely cemented the idea that the op dispatch loop will be generated
> dynamically, and will be different on various platforms. The wins you saw
> with different schemes on the x86 and SPARC are too big to ignore. That
> should be a win for ultimately TILing the code, since we'll need to make
> sure all the opcodes can be either stuffed bodily into the switch, or
> called as functions. Cross-platform tuning is always so much fun... :)

You keep working on your spellbooks.  Me, I just fetch things
from the storeroom and try not to blow things up.

I was doing some thinking on the event loop (and how to tie it in later),
and ran into a question.  Given the current priority idea, how far does a
priority stretch?  (Horrible description, so let me give an example.  Say
SIGALRM has been determined to be priority 4 and you are processing regular
code (prioirity 0).  Perl receives the signal and generates an event of
prioirty 4.  Perl then switches to that priority level to process the event.
If the event has a callback (to regular Perl code), does the callback's code
(beyond the actual dispatch) run at PRI 4, or 0?  At what point do you
revert to the lower priority and allow other events to be handled?)

--
Bryan C. Warnock
[EMAIL PROTECTED]