At 04:23 PM 10/27/2001 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
>In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>           Tom Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Other than that it looked quite good and I'll probably start looking at
> > bending the existing code into the new model over the weekend.
>
>Attached is my first pass at this - it's not fully ready yet but
>is something for people to cast an eye over before I spend lots of
>time going down the wrong path ;-)

It looks pretty good on first glance.

>The packfile stuff is just a hack to make it work for now. Presumably
>we will have to modify the byte code format to record the string types
>as names or something so we can look them up properly?

Yup. I think tagging the strings with a few type integers and a set of
name->type tables in the bytecode are going to be needed for this.

>String comparison is not language sensitive here - as before it just
>compares based on character values.

I'm still unsure as to how to properly handle locale-aware comparison,
which is an interesting problem in and of itself. Luckily we just need to
make the facilities for it, and someone else handles the policy. :)

>Other than that I think it's aiming in the right direction and it does
>pass all the tests... Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Let me mull it over a bit. I think I'm going to commit it, but a second
think on it won't hurt.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk