In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 04:23:48PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> > The encoding_lookup() and chartype_lookup() routines will obviously
> > need to load the relevant libraries on the fly when we have support
> > for that.
>
> Could you try rewriting them using an enum, like the vtable stuff and
> the original string encoding stuff does?

The intention is that when an encoding or character type is loaded it
will be allocated a unique ID number that can be used internally to
refer to it, but that the number will only valid for the duration of
that instance of parrot rather than being persistent. That's certainly
the way Dan described it happening in his rationale which is what my
code is based on.

Allocating them globally is not possible if we're going allow people
to add arbitrary encodings and character sets - as things stand adding
the foo encoding will be as simple as adding foo.so to the encodings
directory.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])