#### [Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 01:28:40PM +0000: Simon Cozens]
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 01:31:34AM -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >   Added length parameter to extract_num and extract_int string vtables,
> >   without this it would be impossible to have strings with nulls in while
> >   still knowing where they ended.
>
> This can't be right, can it? Isn't that exactly the problem that STRING*
> fixes?

Sorry, not clear enough.  The encoding needs to know how long the string
is, else it can't work out where to stop, string.c (aka STRING *) tells
the encoding this.  No one else gets to find out, nothing to see here,
move along now.

FLOATVAL string_to_num (struct Parrot_Interp *interpreter, STRING *s) {
    if (s == NULL) {
        return 0.0;
    }
    else {
        return s->encoding->extract_num(s->bufstart, s->bufused);
    }
}

Alex Gough
--
I can't understand why people are frightened
of new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.