Jarkko Hietaniemi:
# On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 11:09:44AM -0800, Brent Dax wrote:
# > Robert Spier:
# > # This means, that either:
# > #
# > # a) parrot needs to bootstrap itself from some platform-dependent
# > #    bootstrap script.  (and hopefully there would only
# need to be a few
# > #    of these, bootstrap-unix.sh, bootstrap-windows.bat,
# > #    bootstrap-vms.dcl).
# >
# > I vote for this option.  All we really need for this is the shell
# > scripts (which don't have to implement the "build-only-if-necessary"
# > logic of make) and a generic config.h that assumes nothing.
#
# Maybe I just don't understand what the (a) option is trying to say,
# but it doesn't work quite that way.  In .bat you are not going to
# do timestamp comparisons.

Here's how it works:

1. Make a shell script for each broad platform you support.  (Windows,
Mac, Unix, perhaps a few special ones for the especially weird
Unices...)
2. Put in place generic config.h and platform.[hc] files.
3. Build EVERYTHING in an order that will jive with the dependencies,
REGARDLESS of if it actually *needs* to be rebuilt.
4. Use the resulting 'miniparrot' to run Configure and a make workalike.
5. Start playing with the resulting 'parrot' program.

--Brent Dax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Configure pumpking for Perl 6

"Nothing important happened today."
    --George III of England's diary entry for 4-Jul-1776