I've been meaning to ask- is there any plan to add special support for XML
features such as string escaping?  It would be very useful, IMHO, to have
something analogous to the "\Q" feature in perl5 for escaping regexps, but
which would do XML-style "<" and ">" escaping.

I'm specifically interested in how features like this might be applicable
to the problem of "Cross-Site Scripting" security vulnerabilities in
perl-based web applications.

The types of escaping which are necessary for this are described at
  http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/malicious_code_mitigation.html

I think tainting is a BIG part of the solution.  But is there more that
might make sense to provide in the language?   With XML generation and
parsing becoming so common, it seems to me that an argument could be made
that low-level mechanisms for properly parsing and generating XML/HTML
content in a flexible way belongs in the core libraries, if not the language
itself.

--Josh

--
Josh Wilmes  ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) | http://www.hitchhiker.org