At 07:57 PM 7/29/2002 -0700, Sean O'Rourke wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, I presume the (rather abysmal) perl 6 numbers
> > include time to generate the assembly and assemble it--have you tried
> > running the generated code by itself as a test? (At the moment, the
> > assembler's rather slow)
>
>It's mostly the parser that's slow, not the assembler (about a second's
>worth of startup time to load the grammar and do a bunch of

The assembler _is_ still slow. It is faster than it was, but slow nonetheless,
and unacceptable for "on the fly" assembly.

Also, IMCC is to blame for some of the poor quality of the generated
code. Eventually it will do proper loop invariant optimization among other
things.

Things can only get better from here.

-Melvin