On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:34:00PM -0300, Daniel Grunblatt wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>
> > Here's a very minimal ARM jit framework. It does work (at least as far as
> > passing all 10 t/op/basic.t subtests, and running mops.pbc)
>
> Cool, I have also been playing with ARM but your approach is in better
> shape. (I'll send you a copy of what I got here anyway because it's bit
> more documented and you might want to merge it).

It's very documented, and I did merge it. Thanks. Expect to recognise large
chunks of it in a day or two when I get to a suitable point to submit a
better patch.

> Yes, function calls are generally slower than computing a goto.
> > 7: Debian define the archname on their perl as "arm", whereas building from
> >    the source tree gets me armv4l (from uname) hence the substitution for
> >    armv[34]l? down to arm. I do have a machine with an ARM3 here (which I
> >    think would be armv2) but it is 14 years old, and doesn't currently have
> >    Linux on it (or a compiler for RISC OS, and I'm not feeling up to
> >    attempting a RISC OS port for parrot just to experiment with JITs)
> >    It's probably quite feasible to make the JIT work on everything back to
> >    the ARM2 (ARM1 was the prototype and I believe was never used in any
> >    hardware available outside Acorn, and IIRC all ARM1 doesn't have is the
> >    multiply instruction, so it could be done)
>
> Ofcourse I didn't even noticed about all those problem, I'm using TD's
> ARM.

Well, I didn't notice it the first time I worked on the JIT. I found that
/usr/bin/perl decided I was on an "arm", and /usr/local/bin/perl decided
"arm4l". (version 4 instructions, plus long multiply)

> > I'll start writing some real JIT ops over the next few days, although
> > possibly only for the ops mops and life use :-)
>
> Yay!, the ARM will be the first one with string opcodes jitted, I'm
> looking forward to see if we get good speed up.

Er, because I'm going to be writing the string opcodes? :-)

> > Oh, and prepare an acceptable version of this patch once people decide what
> > is acceptable

Hint. Please. (Dan?)

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 11:04:58PM -0300, Daniel Grunblatt wrote:
> I thing I forgot to tell is that I also have added a constant pool which
> could be usefull for the ARM too, it's on my local tree,I don't know
> exactly when I'm going to finish it.

Useful. I suspect I can live without it, with the temporary pain of extra
branches round inlined constants.

Nicholas Clark
--
Even better than the real thing:        http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/