On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 02:45, Brent Dax wrote:
> So, building Parrot ought to look something like this (for a Windows
> user):
>
>       c:\parrot> cd build
>       c:\parrot\build> win32
>       Are you using MS VC++? [yn] y
>       <compiler crap cut out>
>       Miniparrot build complete.
>       Enter 'miniparrot build.pbc' to continue

Is there any reasons *not* to continue here?  If someone only wants
miniparrot, they should say 'win32 /miniparrot' or whatever.

>       c:\parrot\build> miniparrot build.pbc
>
>       Parrot version 1.0 Build 1.0
>       Copyright (C) 2002 Yet Another Society

Ooh, optimism.

>       Hello, I'm Build.  My job is to poke and prod your system to
> figure out
>       how to build Parrot, then build it for you.  The process is
> mostly
>       automated--after the first couple questions, I can finish on my
>       own--unless you've passed the '--ask' command-line flag, in
> which case
>       I'll ask you about pretty much everything.
>
>       Preparing my internal data structures...done.
>       Figuring out what kind of system I'm on...
>       Win32?  This could be a bit tricky.
>       done.
>       Probing for C toolkit...
>       I've found VC++ and GCC.
>       Which of these toolkits should I use? [VC++]
>       OK, I'll use the Microsoft tools.  Blech.
>       done.
>       Probing for languages with configuration info...
>       You have Perl 5!  Sweet!
>       Should I take configuration info from it? [y]
>       OK, I'll use some info from Perl 5.
>       You have Python!  Sweet!
>       Should I take configuration info from it? [y]
>       OK, I'll use some info from Python.
>       done.
>       Probing for data type sizes...done.
>       <etc>
>       Okay, I've finished the configuration stuff.  I will now start
> building
>       Parrot for you.
>       <compiler crap cut out>
>       Okay, Parrot is built.  To test Parrot, type 'miniparrot
> build.pbc test'

Ohhh. and you were doing so well!  :-)

        "You want I should test it out? [y]"

>       at a command prompt; to install it, type 'miniparrot build.pbc
> install'.

        "Are you satisfied enough for me to install it now?
         Please? Pretty please? [y]"

(Or, in the instance of [n]s, "Okay, you can always (test|install) it
later by running $command.")

Beyond that, I like this glimpse of the future.

--
Bryan C. Warnock
bwarnock@(gtemail.net|raba.com)