On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> Leon Brocard wrote:
>
> > cc: unrecognized option `-shared'
>
> And here probably helps the patch, that was sent to the list sometimes
> ago, replacing LD with LINK in root.in (main Makefile):
>

> blib/lib/libparrot$(SO): $(LINK) $(LD_SHARED) $(LINKFLAGS) ...

No, the original is correct.  LD is the correct program to use to create
shared libraries.  (See the definitions in config/init/data.pl, right
below the comment "# We need a Glossary somewhere!".)

The problem is the LD_SHARED setting, which is set in config/init/data.pl.
(The patch is in my previous note.)

There are also other problems with that target, namely that we currently
don't guarantee that the objects have been built with the appropriate
flags to enable being bundled into a shared library (-fPIC for gcc, -KPIC
for Solars cc, +Z for HP/UX, perl5's $Config{cccdlflags}, in general), but
I suspect that Mac OS X will be forgiving about this.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]