On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> As PBC files might be built from different core.ops aka core_ops.c, it
> is necessary to add a fingerprint to PBC files, to validate, that the
> interpreter uses the very same ops, when running the PBC.
>
> - during "make" a fingerprint of core_ops.c is generated:
> $ perl -pe's/\s//g' < core_ops.c | md5sum | cut -f1 -d' ' [1]
> 305c25a0a3fe675f7fdc5d323020eae2

I think we could do better than checksumming the whole file, since that
will pick up changes in comments, etc.  What we really want to know is
whether or not the opcode numbers have changed, and I think two things
will handle this sufficiently:

- a parrot version number in the bytecode file; and
- developers remembering not to run old pbc files when adding core ops

/s