Damian Conway wrote:

> >      ~~     !~                  - smartmatch and/or perl5 '=~' (?)
> >     like  unlike                - (tentative names)
>
> Do we *really* need the alphabetic synonyms here?
> Me no like!

I agree with Damian.  C<like> wouldn't've been a bad name for the Perl 5
C<=~> operator; it's at least similar to SQL's C<LIKE>.

However the smart matching is going to do many things in Perl 6,
representing tests such as 'is contained in' or 'contains'.

I don't think that there's an English word which is flexible enough to
represent all the kinds of matching this will do.  As such I think it's
less confusing to have a special symbol that we all remember as doing
'magic matching' than it would be to have an English word which
sometimes has its ordinary English meaning and sometimes has the meaning
of a different English word or phrase.

Smylers