On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Michael Lazzaro wrote:
: >   @x [+]= @y;
:
: I guess that's OK looking, tho either is fine with me.

My only syntactic quibble with [+] is that it's officially ambiguous
when it's a unary operator:

    @a = [+]@b

could also be the start of

    @a = [+1, +2, +3]

Or worse:

    sub x;
    @a = [x]@b;

Except there isn't a unary C<x>.

But I don't think that's a real problem.  The other potential problem
is that we might get a bit of visual interference with real subscripts like

    @a[1.. :2] [+] @b[1]

But that's probably okay.  Another trouble spot is

    @a = [-][1,2,3,4,5];

That's not a problem with builtins, but what about

    sub foo ();
    sub prefix:foo ($x);

    @a = [foo][1,2,3,4,5];

And how soon till someone asks for

    @a = {$_ * 2}[1,2,3,4,5];

I kinda like the possibility of distinction between [+]= and [+=],
even if there isn't one really.

    my Dog @a [.]= new;

is also a bit clever.

As for getting back to ^ with xor, that's also pretty okay by me.

Oh, another thing in favor of [+] is that it's also a good place
to require a space before an infix

: However, I think we now need to vectorpause and hear from the
: eigenLarry (that is, let the superpositions of Larry collapse to a
: discrete state), before we superget ourselves too worked up on our
: eigensolution, here.

I like "eigenstates" about as much as Damian likes "X".

Larry