At 7:27 PM +0100 1/3/03, Erik Bågfors wrote:
On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 00:28, Gopal V wrote:
 If memory serves me right, Dan Sugalski wrote:
 > language-level "we're object-oriented dammit!" objects, not the
 > lower-level stuff we're currently working with) should/will behave.

 yay ! ... finally !
The moment we've all been waiting for :)
Sheesh, everyone lay on the guilt, why don't you? :-P

 > > reference-style objects and non-reference values.
 How large can a non-reference value be ? ... (in the .NET opcodes the
 'struct' seems to be unlimited in size ...) But well, I'd settle for
 a non-reference of at least large integers (64bit)...

 And how will non-reference values dispatch methods ? ... would they be
 "boxed" into a reference for each method call, so that the method call
 can modify them ? ...or are all non-reference values immutable ?....

 to put it down clearly ...

 MyValueType a;
 a.Modify();

 would a be able to modify itself ? (unfortunately C# allows that)
So does ruby.  We need that :)
I wasn't aware that ruby had value types--I thought it was all
reference types. Time to crack open the nutshell book again,
apparently.
--
                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk