Buddha Buck wrote:

Maybe, maybe not....  On my machine right now, it is very easy for me to
type various accented letters, like a, e, etc, making words like resume
(or is that resume) nearly as fast to type as the non-accented version
resume.
Hmmm, that's not what I wrote... On my machine, I had accents on the a and the e, and in the first two forms of "resume". There are now four copies of the message in my "sent" folder (one to Mr. Nobody, one to the list, and two to myself), all of which have the proper characters in it.

It appears that an intermediate relayer is converting my utf-8 formatted 8bit messages to "us-ascii" 7bit messages for no good reason. The Japanese came out badly, as well....