Dan Sugalski wrote:

At 11:55 AM -0300 1/24/03, Daniel Grunblatt wrote:

CG vs JIT (running with non jitted opcdes) wins CG, always.

Ah, OK. No function preambles/postambles in the CG case. Hrm, time to go learn PPC assembly, I guess... :)

Ne need to have a deep understanding of $arch's assembly for implementing the vtable calls. It's almost only:
- prepare stack frame
- push value
- push address
- call a vtable function indexed by x
- get return value (opt)
- save return value (opt)

s. jit/i386/jit_emit.h:Parrot_jit_vtable_*()

Of course, you should know, how to prepare arguments for function calls and call a function. But debugging an -O3 compiled parrot and "stepi" does help a lot - so did I learn it ;-)
And of course:

$perldoc docs/jit.pod
/Debugging

leo