Graham Barr wrote:

This is not a for or against, but there is something that has been
bugging me about this.

Currently in Perl5 it is possible to create a sub that has map/grep-like
syntax, take a look at List::Util

If the function form of map/grep were to be removed, which has been suggested,
and the <~ form maps to methods. How would you go about defining a utility
module similar to List::Util that uses the same syntax as map/grep but
without making the subs methods on the global ARRAY package ?
As far as I know Larry is not planning to remove the functional
forms of C<map>, C<grep>, etc.

Those forms may, it's true, become mere wrappers for the OO forms.
But I confidently expect they will still be available.

Damian