At 10:07 AM +0100 1/30/03, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Changing the addressing scheme to opcode offsets relative to code
start would simplify all kinds of (non local) control flow changes. As
real world programs mostly consists of such subroutine calls, these
would be simplified a lot (and would then not need leaving the runloop
- probably ;-)
The big problem with this is you're increasing non-local call performance for normal running. I don't think this is a good idea--while you'll save maybe 50 cycles for each non-local call, you're making each opcode pay another four or five cycles, perhaps a bit more on the more register-starved architectures if the extra interpreter structure element fetching causes a register to get stack flushed.

I'll go read through the rest of the thread to see if maybe there's a different solution we can come up with to solve part of the problem, or if maybe the problem you're looking to solve isn't what I think it is.
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk