I think that the issue here isn't so much good perl support for XML as it is good support for attributed DAGs, something which would be of general good use for perl, since the ASTs the parser feeds to the compiler will ultimately be DAGs of a sort.

So, rather than jumping on the "XML [insert verb here]!" bandwagon, perhaps we'd be better served figuring out what would be useful operations and support for/on DAGs and suchlike things?
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk