At 8:13 PM +0200 3/31/03, Matthijs van Duin wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 07:45:30AM -0800, Austin Hastings wrote:
I've been thinking about closures, continuations, and coroutines, and
one of the interfering points has been threads.

What's the P6 thread model going to be?

As I see it, parrot gives us the opportunity to implement preemptive
threading at the VM level, even if it's not available via the OS.

I think we should consider cooperative threading, implemented using continuations. Yielding to another thread would automatically happen when a thread blocks, or upon explicit request by the programmer.

It has many advantages:

And one disadvantage:

Dan doesn't like it. :)

Well, there are actually a lot of disadvantages, but that's the only important one, so it's probably not worth much thought over alternate threading schemes for Parrot at least--it's going with an OS-level preemptive threading model.

No, this isn't negotiable.
--
                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk