On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> Jonathan Sillito wrote:
>
> Why not just leave the old behaviour?
> IMHO[1]:
> - Make a new class based on Continuations
> - invokecc and such are based on it

[snip]

> [1] I don't know too much about all the HL stuff. But anyway, some
> languages might be quite fine with the current implementation (which
> seems to be more lightweight, when it just comes to calling a plain
> subroutine) Have a look at P6Cs usage for exceptions and in regexen
> code. I know, its not final, but its a working implementation. Some less
> fancy HL might be just fine with the way how its working currently.
>
> Or I'm totally wrong here ;-)

Here is another suggestion (I think I mentioned this in another email) we
could support a few different types of continuations. The simplest
continuation could be just a saved return address (i.e. an opcode_t*).
This would be roughly as lightweight as the current implementation, I
think. What do you think? I am thinking it would be easier to have one
calling convention then callees know what to expect.

  invokecc .LiteContinuation # or something ...

One more thing Leo (excuse my ignorance) why is there a "stack calling
convention" in imcc? How does it relate to calling subs via the "calling
convention"?

--
Jonathan Sillito