On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:48:11PM -0500, Andy Lester wrote:
> The Phalanx project has started its rampup to an official
> announcement.  Phalanx is going to beef up the tests, coverage and
> docs on Perl and 100 heavily-used modules from CPAN.

I'll be interested to see how you handle non-Perl dependencies as in
C libraries.

> The project page is at http://qa.perl.org/phalanx/.  Please take a
> look, tell me your thoughts, and if there are any serious ommissions
> from the Phalanx 100 module list...

If we do, then it won't be the Phalanx 100 anymore, will it. :)
I'd highly recommend against a naming scheme that limits your implementation.
Hard coded constants and all that. :)

I'd also recommend you list by Module::Name rather than Distribution-Name.
If nothing else the Module::Name is more consistent.

Here's some Really Important modules you're missing.  I'm using
http://mungus.schwern.org/~schwern/cgi-bin/perl-qa-wiki.cgi?EssentialModules
for reference.

It looks like you've left off all CPAN modules which are also in the core,
I suppose you're figuring they'll be handled by the core smokers.  Except
that the versions on CPAN are sometimes slightly different than the ones
in the core.  I recall a recent release of Filter::Simple that worked fine
in the core but got the paths to its test libraries wrong when installed
from CPAN.  The smokers also don't check for backwards compat.

Most I mention because they're important.  Some I mention because they
tend to break a lot and reveal subtle incompatibilities in Perl.

Test
Test::Harness
Test::More
IO
Class::Date (simply because it seems to break every time Perl changes)
File::Spec (now on CPAN)
Cwd (will be on CPAN soon)
ExtUtils::MakeMaker
CPAN