Benjamin Goldberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As an example of why... I found this in io.ops :

> op write(in PMC) {

Sorry for that. This was a quick hack, to get
languages/parrot_compiler/parrot_pasm working again. As you mentioned
below, there was no print routine that transparently handled binary
data.

> Surely, blinding writing the bytes that are in a string, without
> checking that the string's encoding and type match that of the stream,
> is wrong.

Yep for sure. But as long as we have no means to change/set an IO
stream's encoding and type, it doesn't matter - yet.

[ much skipped, all very reasonable and true ]

leo