On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > After thinking about this a bit, it became glaringly obvious that the
> > right way to instantiate an object for class "Foo" is to do:
>
> >   new P5, .Foo
>
> > Or whatever the constant value assigned to the Foo class upon its creation
> > is. When a class is created, it should be assigned a number, and for most
> > things PMC-only classes or full-on HLL classes should behave identically.
>
> Yep. The question does arise, if which range class enums are? Intermixed
> with enum_class_<pmc> numbers?

Yes, intermixed. I added support a while back to pass in the class number
to a PMC class being initialized for this very reason. The compiled-in
PMCs get fixed numbers at the beginning because it's easiest, and things
get referenced symbolically from there.

> And - what about:
>
>   typeof S0, P0      <=> classname S0, P0
>
> (IMHO the HLL compiler can't always know, which op to use)

At this point they're the same thing, I think. I'll need to think on it a
bit.

> And the classname of objects vs the classname of classes (the classname
> PMC is in different array slots).

Last I knew there was something of a fight over what class a class is in.
At the moment I'm going to ignore the heck out of things and let the
language folks fight over it some more.

                                        Dan