On Oct-27, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> Arthur Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > include/parrot/pobj.h:#  define version obj.version
>
> Sorry for that :) We can AFAIK toss the version part of a PObj. Its
> almost unused and hardly needed. It could be renamed too inside parrot.

I'm the guilty one who added the version field (though back then, it
was added to a Buffer object, IIRC). I found it very helpful in
debugging GC problems -- I would have a problem where memory was being
stomped on, and trace it back to a prematurely freed and reused
header. But in order to figure out what was going on, I needed to
trace it back to the point of allocation of the header, but headers
get reused so frequently that setting a conditional breakpoint on the
address of the header was useless. So I added in the version number to
provide something to set a breakpoint on.

It is very possible that this is no longer useful; I haven't been
working on stuff where I have needed it for long enough that the code
has mutated significantly. Is it still useful? If not, then go ahead
and rip it out.