Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Juergen Boemmels wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently there 64 header files in include/parrot. From these 64
> > header files 36 can be included directly, i.e.
> > #include <parrot/embed.h>
> > will compile, but
> > #include <parrot/chartype.h>
> > will fail with errors. In the case of chartype this can be easily
> > fixed [1].
> > Other headers are a little bit harder.
> >
> > Would it be a good idea to fix the other headers the same way?
>
> Well... I suppose, though I don't see much point. The headers are the way
> they are in part because the interdependencies between the pieces made it
> easiest to do it the way that we are.

FreeBSD has problems exactly because of this problem: It needs some
headers before others. What we need at least is respect our own
conventions. I.e. no INTVALs out of PARROT_IN_CORE.
The simplest solution would be: protect all of the headers with
PARROT_IN_CORE.

> Most (though certainly not all) of
> the core source files will just include parrot.h, so I'm not sure how much
> work it's worth.

I don't know if the reason for including parrot.h is only that using
only the minimal set is really hard to get right.

> (More importantly, I think it'll decay pretty quickly)

The attached test would ensure that it won't decay, if this test fails
this is a regression. But I see your point. Keeping MANIFEST up to
date is also a real problem, even though there is a test.

But put it the other way. If we always want to include parrot.h why
are there so many header-files and not only one big parrot.h

bye
boe
--
Juergen Boemmels                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fachbereich Physik                      Tel: ++49-(0)631-205-2817