On Nov-12, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> I've committed a change that speeds up hash_compare considerably[1],
> when comparing hashes with mixed e.g. ascii and utf8 encodings.

I read the patch, and thought that we'll also have a lot of ($x eq $y)
and ($x ne $y) statements that this won't accelerate -- couldn't this be
done as another string vtable entry instead of being specific to
hash_compare? It seems like you're able to do the optimizations when
string_compare isn't purely because string_compare needs to test
ordering, not just equality. Am I missing something (as usual), or
would this be better done by adding a string_equal?